We are pleased and confident to say “Mother Me has the best and we offer the best”.
Doulas to Suit Your Family’s Needs
Mother Me takes great care to place a doula/doulas to suit your specific family’s needs postnatally.
After the first visit, Liza will check in and continue to do so throughout the service.
Pre-booking Bonus: Booking one month prior to your due date, you will be sent our Mother Me care package which includes a Mother Me journal, Mother Me breast feeding comfort gels and a personalized hand/foot stamp kit.
All Mother Me clients receive a Mother Me journal: Mother Me journals are a communication tool for you and your doula. Your doula will write notes throughout the shift tracking feeds, changes and soothing techniques.
Emergency bookings can be arranged on short term notice, but pre-booking is recommended in order to ensure Mother Me staff are available.
Private and Confidential
All Mother Me doulas:
- Have signed a strict confidentiality agreement
- Have completed a postpartum training program through Mother Me prior to working
- Carry a baby and adult CPR certificate (updated yearly)
- Have completed a criminal record check
- Have completed both personal and professional reference checks
- Are committed to ongoing training and education seminars
- Have completed 100 training hours and 20 volunteer community hours
We understand that you are not at you best, both physically and emotionally, for the first few weeks. Mother Me can support you while you rest and recover. We provide educational, non-judgemental support for up to the first 6 months. Our doulas are comfortable working with different cultures and respect all types of families.
In special circumstances such as adoption or surrogacy, our doulas have travelled with families when they are returning home.
Lower Risk of Postpartum Depression
Are you at risk? Common symptoms of PPD include:
- Depressed mood or mood swings with exaggerated highs and lows
- Uncontrolled crying and irritability
- Loss of interest in usually pleasurable activities
- Lack of interest in sex
- Difficulty with memory, concentrating and making decisions
- Psychomotor agitation or retardation
- Fatigue, sluggishness and feeling exhausted
- Changes in appetite or sleep insomnia
- Recurrent thoughts of death/suicide
- Intrusive unwanted thoughts
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, especially failure at motherhood
- Lack of interest in the baby
- Excessive anxiety over child’s health
Excerpt from the Mood Disorders of Canada website
Some Mother Me doulas have had extensive experience with postpartum depression from their own personal transition into motherhood. All Mother Me doulas have furthered their professional development by training with the Pacific Postpartum Support Society.
There may be a chance we can pull on your extended medical benefits to have this service covered.
Improved Post Birth Experience
As of 2016, Mother Me has supported over 900 families. Among our clients:
- 40% have been twin parents
- 3% have been triplet parents
- 45% had challenges with postpartum depression
- 55% have post pregnancy recovery complications such as C-section delivery or episiotomy
- 40% had challenges with breastfeeding
- 35% chose to bottle feed with breast milk or formula
- 80% have no family support in the area
- 30% have partners that travel
- 40% are self-employed and must be able to find the time to keep a hand in their business
- 90% chose to use night support
- 30% used Mother Me for their second pregnancy
- 5% used Mother Me for their third pregnancy
- 40% had their doula stay in the hospital post recovery
- And 100% were able to say goodbye to Mother Me with newfound skills and gained confidence to better parent their babies!
Reduced Family Stress
Mother Me doulas can help reduce the overall stress on your family. We can:
- Assist you with your day to day household tasks, e.g. cooking and light housework
- Newborn care – soothing, bathing, feeding and holding techniques
- Provide you with ideas to help you and your newborn have a restful night
- Breastfeeding/bottle feeding support and education
- Techniques to entertain and stimulate your baby
- Emotional support
We recognize this service is essential for parents who don’t have any family or support nearby.
Mothers in North America are often not given the time to rest and recuperate after the birth. This lack of support can interfere with bonding and feeding and is particularly difficult for mothers with postpartum depression. This can also create stress for the whole family.
A doula’s role is to eliminate unnecessary stress and help create an environment of confidence, happiness and bonding between father, siblings, mother and their newborn.
Mother Me is a registered company. When services are completed, clients will receive a “statement of services” from our accounting department that can be used for a tax write-off.
Invoicing for Mother Me is done twice a month. Billing periods are the 1st – 15th and the 16th – to month’s end. Your invoice will be emailed to you. You have the option of paying by Visa, MasterCard or Direct Deposit.